Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nearing the End

During my first week here, Christian asked me if I would want to stay in Adelaide and at Blackfriars long-term.  I told him "Nah, I don't think so."  Five weeks later, I have another boy ask me almost every day and my response is always, "I wish I could."  It's been a great six weeks at Blackfriars, and I can't believe that my time here is almost up!  Today a lot of that really started to sink in.  I started off my day with the year 5's (I was supposed to be with the year 7's, but I'm basically ignoring my schedule and just going where I want to at this point).  Before I left the room, I got a class picture with them, and they all thought it was my last day.  I was relieved to tell them that I still had two left, and it was great to see them smile and say "Oh good!" when I told them.  It will definitely be hard to say goodbye on Friday, but as everyone keeps telling me, I'll just have to come back again someday!  
  
My year 5's

After my time with the year 5's, I went to my last year 10 RE class.  That class has been really good to get me thinking about what and how I'd like to teach after college.  Today I talked with a few of the boys and learned my random fact for the day: Australian dollars don't rip.  They're made of some sort of plastic, and won't rip the way American dollars will.  As cool as this is though, AU dollars are too colorful for me; it'll be nice to have good ol' American money back in my wallet!

I spent two lesson with the year 4's after recess, and then went back to the office for lunch.  It was really cool -- Danni threw a little party for me!  She brought in a bunch of snacks and all the Games Club boys came, along with Gregoire.  Tommy was out sick today and couldn't make it, but his brother Anton was there (they're awesome kids -- easily two of my favorites), and I always love talking with him.  There was also an unwelcome guest -- an Australian redback spider.  Danni's husband Nigel found it in their shed to show me, and apparently they're really common -- and also deadly.  I was warned that there are lots of deadly creatures in Australia, and apparently they lurk right in your house!  Besides the spider though, it was really a great time!  I didn't realize I'd make such great connections in Australia and find such awesome people here.

Gregoire and me
with Danni, Leane, and Maria

with Adam, Brian, Anton, and Chris

For the last two lessons of the day, I went with the year 2's.  They were doing show-and-tell and then had some free time.  I'm ashamed to say that I was beaten in Connect Four by an eight-year old.  Although in my defense, he was really good!  After the boys left for PE, I stuck around to help their stressed out teacher out some work away in their portfolios before the day ended.  When the final bell had gone, I stopped by the office for a minute then wandered back out to the primary section.  On my way through, I was attacked by a couple year 4's who decided to throw some balls at me -- what else could I do but throw them back?  I spent the next twenty minutes running around with the year 4's, dodging and throwing the balls -- a great way to end the day!

Well, tomorrow is my last full day at Blackfriars and then Friday is a half day (since schools will be on holiday the next two weeks) -- exciting, but definitely sad to think that six weeks have already passed!

No comments:

Post a Comment