Sunday, June 12, 2011

An Awesome Aussie Day

Well, today was the day!  Maria came to pick me up at the house, and we went to Mass at her parish and then over to her house for coffee.  Her husband and 15 year-old son came with us to meet up with Danni and her husband, and we headed out to Cleland Wildlife Park!  It seemed to be the first time that any of them had been there too, and so it was really exciting.  They knew how much I had been waiting for this day, to go and hold a koala, and so they were all really excited for me, too. 

We got there around 1, and the koala-holding starts at 2, so we had a bit of time to walk around first.  The park was really cool -- it's pretty big, and there are huge open areas where you can go and wander freely around with kangaroos, emus, and potaroos (little mice-like critters).  I had a small bag of animal feed which you're able to give to the kangaroos, so I gave it a shot.  I crouched down near a small one, held out my hand, and called it over -- it hopped right to me!  I'm always fascinated by the way they hop around, and I couldn't believe how it came right over!  I even got to pet him on the head as he ate from my hand.  After the small one, I moved over to one of the bigger kangaroos.  This guy was really cool; he stood up right next to me and tried to grab the bag from me! 



As soon as 2 o'clock approached, we made our way to the koala area.  We saw a big forest-like structure that seemed to be somethink like koala condos (kondos), where a bunch of them were sleeping in the trees.  Nearby was the hands-on exhibit.  A few people were lined up for the free session where you get to pet the koala, but I made my way to the Koala holding -- and was first in line!  The Park trainer came out carrying one of the cutest critters I've ever seen -- a fluffy 8-year old koala named Belle.  Then I got to hold her -- she wrapped her arm right around my shoulder, and I got to pet and hold her as she clung to me.  It was awesome; she had really thick, soft fur and was chewing on a eucalyptus branch as she nuzzled my face.  It was really a dream come true!

with Belle the koala

After my koala experience, we made our way around the rest of the park.  There were pelicans, wallabies, and plenty more kangaroos.  It was really great!  Once we left the park (and I spent a good deal of money in the gift shop), we drove up to Mount Lofty, the highest point in Adelaide.  The mountain is probably about 2000 ft tall, and it has some great views of the city!  They had a nice (but expensive) cafe on top, and so we all spent a bit of time up there before heading home.  Maria invited me to stay over for dinner, and so I got to experience my first Aussie barbeque.  It was really good -- a bunch of different meats all grilled up (although no kangaroo meat).  I really enjoyed spending time with the family, they're a really great group of people.

Having now met one of my life goals, I think I can call it a very successful day!
looking out on Adelaide from Mt Lofty

3 comments:

  1. Koala holding! Sounds like you are having an awesome time.

    - Abby from PC

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lucky koala! :) sounds like you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete