Friday, June 10, 2011

Friday Craziness

I finally managed to work up a schedule!  I met with John, the deputy principal, and Maria, the head of Learning Enrichment who I've been doing a lot of work with.  My days are going to be pretty busy, which is actually just what I wanted -- I'll be moving around between years 2, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12, doing things from learning enrichment aid to math to religion.  I'm also going to be attending the year 10 male mentor day, the year 9 retreat, and possibly the year 12 retreat.  It's going to be a busy 4 weeks, but I can't wait for it all! 

It's really been great getting to move around the school and experience so much there, and today was no exception.  After my meeting, I headed over to the primary school section to see what class I should go in with.  I saw a group of first year boys, who were all yelling and waving to me as they headed off to their music lesson.  Then I popped into year 4, where Christian was all excited to see me again (he's probably one of my favorites!), and then I settled down in the reception, or kindergarten, class.  All I can say is: yikes!  That reception teacher has got a lot in her to handle that class.  Twenty five year olds in one room!  I was paired to be buddies with this boy Isaac, who has a hyperactivity disorder.  I held his hand as we walked around outside and guided him along a bit in the class, when he wasn't jumping up and down and running all over the place.  He's got some energy!  After two hours in that class my head was spinning -- it was a lot of fun, but thank God I don't have to be a kindergarten teacher!

I got a bit of a break after that before going back to the year 10 math class.  I helped out a few of the boys on their exam practice again, and worked with one of them for almost 40 minutes.  Afterwards, Brett told me that no one can ever get that one to stay focused for so long, so it was pretty cool to see that he worked so well with me!  After math and lunch, I went with Maria to her Religion class.  I did a bit with them about Pentecost, and then we did something a bit different -- button sewing.  I remembered from my 7th grade Home Ec class how to do this, so I taught a few of the boys how to as well.  It was a strange way to spend class, but actually kind of enjoyable -- a low key way to end the week.

Once school got out, I went into the city to meet up with the daughter of Danni, the other woman from learning enrichment.  She wanted to show me around some of the city, so I figured that would be something fun to do -- Adelaide through the lens of a 15 year old girl. It wasn't as bad as I feared -- I imagined a gaggle of teeny boppers storming all around me through the city, but there were only 2 and they were really friendly.  We checked out the Central Market, Chinatown, and Rundle Mall.  It was cool to meet Teigan (Danni's daughter) after hearing so much about her from her mother at school; I seem to know half her family history already, and there were a few times when she'd say something and then follow it up with, "Don't tell Mum I said that!"  After walking around the city I came back to the house, which I have to myself again for the weekend.  Although if I'm going to see the koalas on Sunday, maybe I can find some new furry friends to take home with me...I'll have to be sure to take a big backpack that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment