Thursday, June 30, 2011

Change Is in the Air

I still can't believe that I'm almost finished with my second to last week Down Under!  It's really starting to hit home, though, because I'm getting ready to move.  Reegan is having her baby next week (I think I forgot to mention that she's pregnant...), and Brett will be taking the week off from school; to make things a little easier, I'm moving to Danni's for my final week, since she lives right near Blackfriars.  I've got a suitcase and a duffel bag sitting near me, just waiting to be packed...they might need to keep waiting though, because I have no motivation to fill them.  I've accumulated a lot of stuff while I've been here, and I'm in no hurry to pack it up.  Seeing as how I need to be in bed soon to get up at 6 tomorrow morning, I might want to get on that...

Before I do, though, I can take a minute to reflect on what was going on at Blackfriars today.  I started off the day with the year 5's and got to spend over two hours with them throughout the morning.  They're always really fun to be around.  I helped them out gluing their math projects together, and then observed  a bit during their reading assignment.  While I was talking to one boy, I saw something out of the corner of my eye and then felt a ruler across my butt -- I turn around, and what do you know, it's Tommy's older brother Anton.  I've been talking with him a bit ever since I met Tommy, and I suppose he likes me enough now to hit me with a ruler (he's a lot different than his brother, but a really nice kid, all rulers aside).

I also did an America presentation to the year 5's today.  It was a slightly more mature version than the one I did for the year 2's, and the boys really seemed to like it.  They asked almost as many questions as the year 2's did; the only difference was that they raised their hands.  They were obsessed with the fact that I have a big back yard (houses are all pretty cramped around Adelaide), and they were really keen on Walmart.  I tried to explain to them how big and crazy it can be, but I suppose only a true Wally World experience will work for that. 

While we were on recess, Danni told me something that got me all excited: she wants to do a pen-pal program with me and the reading group boys after I leave!  I was actually going to suggest something like that, but she beat me to it; I can't wait to start getting letters from my Blackfriars mates! Later in the day, I went to see my year 2's, who I hadn't seen since Tuesday.  As soon as I went in, I heard my name being called from three different directions at once -- it always puts me in a good mood to walk into that room.  I checked out what some of the boys were drawing, and then went to sit at Tommy's table when they watched Spongebob.  Continuing with my new responsible streak, though (which I know won't last, as my time with the primary kids draws to a close), I left to go to the year 12 class at the end of the lesson.  Since they were still watching Inception (and I didn't feel like I'd be of much use there -- and would just get a headache besides), I headed back to the year 2's and finished off my day with them.

Well, I suppose my packing can't wait much longer.  This might be a good test run to see how well I can fit everything when I need to pack it for the long haul home. 

One last night playing with Cooper :-)

2 comments: